Monthly reading review – December 2016
This December I have read:
Soumission by Michel Houellebecq ★★
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens ★★★★
1. How many books you’ve read last month? Are you happy with the amount you read?
The picture above shows the December I would have liked to have seen. Alas there was no snow and the number of books I’ve read in December barely held together at two! I’m not pleased with the number but I doubt I could have made it much higher by sacrificing the time I had to invest in other things.
2. What was the best of all the books you’ve read in December? Any scenes or characters that made a lasting impression?
I was very delighted with A Christmas Carol. It is a great books for December reading and it lifted my spirits quite a bit. Our Book Club meeting was magical as well.
3. Were there any not so good books for you last month? What made it hard or not enjoyable to read?
Soumission by Michel Houellebecq was kinda hard for me to read for several reasons. For starters I’ve actually started reading one edition and had to finish the last half of the book reading a completely different edition. The differences were stunning! And not in a good way. This gave me perspective and more appreciation for translators and their work. Second thing that made this book hard to read was the historical and literary details on French authors and political aspects the author obviously has much knowledge of. Since I’m not very interested in politics – something books like these are meant to keep me up with – nor am I French these things were not very familiar to me and I had to keep stopping my reading to Google this or that…
4. How did the books you were reading last month fit in your reading plans if you had any?
I scored with the book club book and the rest I kinda flopped out on…
5. Any updates on the series you are reading or are you starting any new series?
Complete bust in series department. Only promising thing is that I started reading some of the books I’m lugging since summer and they happen to be part of book series.
6. Would you like to recommend any books or authors you’ve been reading this last month?
While I struggle with some books like Soumission this December I realized I need to get out of my comfort zone every once in a while. This is my recommendation from December. It makes us remember and appreciate the things we love. It made me look forward to some books